Happy Almost New Year! This week is full of fun events and things to do.
- Today is the First Day of Christmas and the last night of Hanukkah.
- Today is also Boxing Day and the first day of Kwanzaa.
- See my article on fun things to do on New Year’s Eve.
- Look online for free resolutions lists and New Year’s games you can download and print.
The movie New Year’s Eve is free to watch on TubiTV and it’s the “RomCom” of the week!
- If you’ve had enough of cold weather, just wait! In Virginia, weather temperatures this week will rise to the mid to upper 60s by New Year’s Eve!
In the Shopping Cart
- 2023 calendars and planners!
- A fun thing to have is a 2023 sign. They have plenty of inexpensive ones at Party City and other party supply stores. Hold it for a fun social media profile photo.
- Champagne Toast from Bath and Body Works is a light and flirty fragrance of champagne, berries and tangerine and is perfect for New Year’s Eve! It just smells happy 🙂 And a big plus, no hangover with this kind of champagne!
- Don’t forget to buy black-eyed peas and collard greens for those of you who eat them for luck on New Year’s Day. Some people eat 12 grapes at midnight, a Spanish custom.
- For at-home entertaining or a quiet New Year’s Eve in, stock up on sparkling beverages, crackers, cheese, a great dessert, and maybe a few party hats, tiaras and decorations.
Things to Do
See the Calendar for details about these and other events. This your last chance to see the National Christmas Tree, Capitol Tree, Winter Walk of Lights and other light attractions this week.
Tuesday, December 27. Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day.
- STEM Art: Snowflakes. 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm. Fairfax Regional Library, Fairfax, VA. Children ages 5 to 9. Free but registration required.
Friday, December 30 5th Day of Christmas. Plan Your Resolutions Day.
- Let’s Party! Children 7 to 11 years old will learn how plan, decorate and serve refreshments at this early New Year’s Eve gathering at Reston Community Center, Hunters Woods, 9 am – 4 pm. $50/for Reston kids/$75 for non-Reston-residing kids.
Saturday, December 31 New Year’s Eve
- Kings Dominion Winterfest (Doswell, VA near Ashland and Richmond).
- First Night Alexandria in Old Town is on for this year!
- Party like it’s the ’80s at the sports bar, Ned Devine’s Irish Gastro Pub, with the throwback band, The Reflex. 9:30 pm – Midnight. 2645 Centreville Road, Herndon, VA.
- A New Year’s Eve Maggiano’s Murder Mystery Dinner Event. 6:30 pm – 12:30 am. Maggiano’s Little Italy. Tysons II Galleria, 2001 International Drive, McLean, VA. Tickets $125.
- The musical Wicked is playing at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC at 1:30 pm and 7:30 pm. The musical performance, A Jazz New Year’s Eve, plays at 7 pm and 9 pm.
Sunday, January 1 7th Day of Christmas. Happy New Year!
- First Day Hikes and activities at Virginia State Parks state-wide and Lake Fairfax in Reston, VA.
Have a blessed New Year and look for more events next week as we wrap up the final days of the holiday season.
Tagged: New Year plans